Tuesday, February 10, 2009

BLOG #6: YOU ASK WHY DID I GO BRITNEY???

Neptune Day, February 9th, 2009 for the Spring Semester of Semester @ Sea. The day we cross the equator on board the MV Explorer and also a day full of silly traditions (youtube semester at sea Neptune day lol) including shaving your head as an option if you would like to...

(I did NOT do this just because it was Neptune day…)

This was the one day though where it would logical and be now or never! I had been thinking about it for some time now, going back and forth for about two months…

One of the reasons was so that I could donate my hair to charity so that people that are actually sick can have hair where as I can grow back mine… I was able to donate like 10 inches… and after cutting off that much I just had to go all the way because I knew I would regret not doing it later…

Second reason was that my hair was A LOT to manage…. I would get frustrated with it all of the time and I actually would lose a lot of hair anyways each day combing all the tangles out… It is just hard to take care of, especially on this voyage traveling to soo many countries where we are not able to shower in some… Now when it grows back it will be healthy, and may even come out straight like when I was little… you never know… I’m excited to see how that will be…

Third reason is I really want to get the MOST of this once in a LIFETIME experience… I already feel somewhat changed, but by May, I will have grown for the better as a person even more. Shaving my head will enable me to experience what cancer patients experience with having no hair and looking different from everyone else. I’m not sick so obviously mine will be growing as time passes, but I think I will grow a deeper appreciation for my hair, my health, and my life as a whole. I think it is something many of us take for granted, I think I have. This is something I wanted to do for that purpose, and to show other people that bald can be BEAUTIFUL!

I do not know if people will treat me differently now because of how I look, but it will be interesting to see how much outside appearance really affects that. I really don’t know… All I can say now is love me for me, not my hair, but for my heart and the PERSON that I am. I have my health, my family and my friends, that is all I need. I am sailing around the world on a “floating University” for crying out loud! You would think it would be appropriate to pull a Britney right? =) Smile because I am, and I have no regrets, I am having the time of my life here. It’s just hair, it will grow back!

Alright now time to study, study, study before we hit Namibia in Africa in 4 days! I think it’s about that time for a Safari!!! I <3 SEMESTER @ SEA! =)

LOVE YOU MOM, DAD, ANT, BRETTY BOY, & ALL MY AMIGOS & FAM BACK HOME! (Thank you J & Marion for persuading me to go bald!)
xoxo
**Mags**

No comments: